The links to external websites on this page were deactivated in late 2013, as they are no longer supported on Access to Insight. This list, with URLs displayed, is offered as a convenient starting point for users who may wish to build and maintain their own lists of such links.
Much of the information on this page is still accessible on the page "Sources:
How to contact the authors and publishers".
- Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation <http://www.budaedu.org/en/book/II-02main.php3>
- (Taiwan). This organization reprints and distributes free Dhamma books from many Buddhist traditions, including Theravada.
- Inward Journey Books <http://www.inwardpath.org/index.html>
- (Malaysia). Inward Journey is a series of free Dhamma books by such authors as Nyanaponika Thera, Sayadaw U Silananda, and Francis Story. Contact the publisher, Inward Path, at the address below if you are interested in obtaining books, sponsoring the publication of a particular book, or contributing towards the publication of Dhamma books.
- Metta Forest Monastery <http://www.watmetta.org>
- (USA). The monastery distributes free books from the Thai forest traditions, including translations of teachings by Ajaan Lee, Upasika Kee, Ajaan Fuang, and Ajaan Suwat, as well as books by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, including The Wings to Awakening: An Anthology from the Pali Canon and Mind Like Fire Unbound: An Image in the Early Buddhist Discourses.
- Metta Forest Monastery
P.O. Box 1409
Valley Center, CA 92082
- Sati Center for Buddhist Studies <http://www.sati.org/>
- (USA). The Sati Center distributes copies of Handful of Leaves, an anthology of sutta translations by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
- Sati Center for Buddhist Studies
108 Birch St.
Redwood City, CA 94062
Tel: +1 415-646-0530
- Wat Pah Baan Taad <http://www.luangta.com/english/index.html>
- (Thailand). Wat Pah Baan Taad is the forest monastery of Ajaan Maha Boowa. The website provides a list of free books by Maha Boowa, many of which are available upon request in both print and electronic formats.
- Wat Pah Baan Taad
Udorn Thani 41000
- Wisdom Audio-Visual Exchange
- (Malaysia). WAVE has an extensive catalog of Dhamma books for free distribution, with titles by such authors as Ajaan Lee, Ajaan Chah, Mahasi Sayadaw, and many others. WAVE welcomes donations to sponsor publication of new books or to reprint old titles.
- Mrs Lim Tay Poh
c/o No. 1187, Jalan 17/46
All the major commercial booksellers nowadays have at least a few Theravada-related titles in their catalogues. The following booksellers either specialize in Theravada or have a noteworthy collection of Theravada titles. All provide international mail-order service.
- Buddhist Cultural Centre <http://www.buddhistcc.net/>
- (Sri Lanka). The Buddhist Cultural Centre is a nonprofit distributor of Buddhist books. Their catalog includes an unusual and wide-ranging selection of books, many of which are impossible to find in the US.
- Buddhist Publication Society <http://www.bps.lk/>
- (Sri Lanka). The BPS is a nonprofit publisher of books on Theravada Buddhism, with an excellent international mail-order service. Their current international mail-order catalog is available from their website. The BPS runs the Nyanaponika Dhamma Dana Project, which distributes free copies of BPS publications to libraries and schools. Publications from the BPS are distributed in the USA by Pariyatti, in Canada by SourceVipassana and in Europe by Wisdom Books. (You may read a selection of titles from the BPS right now.)
- Buddhist Publication Society
P.O. Box 61
No. 54, Sangharaja Mawatha
Tel: +94 81-223-7283 & 81-223-8901
Fax: +94 81-222-3679
- Dharma Publishing <http://www.dharmapublishing.com>
- (USA). Although Dharma Publishing publishes and sells books primarily from the Nyingma Tibetan Buddhist tradition, some of their titles — especially their series of beautifully illustrated children's books of the Jataka tales — will also be of interest to Theravadins.
- Maithri Publications <http://www.maithri.com/>
- (Sri Lanka). Maithri Publications offers an unusual selection of books on Theravada Buddhism, many of which are usually hard to find outside Sri Lanka. Their catalogue includes books on Dhamma, Kamma, Nirvana, Buddhist Psychology, and Philosophy. Books may be ordered using their state-of-the-art secure online ordering service.
- Pali Text Society <http://www.palitext.com>
- (UK). Since its founding in 1881, this nonprofit organization has been the world's pre-eminent publisher of texts from the Pali canon. The PTS offers offer a hardbound edition of the complete Tipitaka in romanized Pali, and most of the Tipitaka in English translation. Some of their translations of key texts are now very badly out of date, and have been superseded by more fluent translations from other publishers (for example, their translation of the Digha Nikaya dates back to 1899; Maurice Walshe's Long Discourses of The Buddha, published by Wisdom Publications in 1987, is a much more useful text). Nevertheless, many of their translations are still valuable. Their romanized Pali editions are indispensable tools for the serious Pali student. PTS books are distributed in North America by Pariyatti.
- Pariyatti <http://www.pariyatti.com>
- (USA). Pariyatti (formerly Pariyatti Book Service) is a nonprofit bookseller with a large online catalog of books on Buddhism and meditation from various publishers. Pariyatti is the official North American distributor for the Buddhist Publication Society and the Pali Text Society.
- SourceVipassana <http://www.sourcevipassana.ca/>
- (Canada). Canadian distributor of books published by the Buddhist Publication Society.
- Wisdom Books <http://www.wisdom-books.com/>
- (UK). Wisdom Books is a for-profit publisher and distributor of Buddhist books and is the official European distributor for the Buddhist Publication Society.
- Wisdom Publications <http://www.wisdompubs.org>
- (USA). Wisdom is a nonprofit publisher and distributor of Buddhist books, including several important modern translations of the Digha, Majjhima, and Samyutta Nikayas.